Wednesday 14 May 2014

Following God's Lead

Back in 2002, I (Joe) began feeling God’s call to come to Kenya and serve at Christ’s Gift Academy.  At the time I was living out my dream of being a college basketball coach, but as a follower of Jesus, I always try to be open to wherever God may lead me.  At first I had no desire to leave my career and move to Kenya.  Eventually God made it so clear that I couldn’t resist, so I committed to serve for 1 year in Mbita as an administrator, teacher, coach and role model at CGA.  As I look back 11 years later, I can see how God had been preparing me my whole life for the work he had for me here in Mbita.  My time overseas has been absolutely amazing as God has used me to impact the lives of many young people, and he has also matured me and drawn me closer to Him. 


For we are God's workmanship, created in
Christ Jesus to do good works, which God
prepared in advance for us to do.  Eph 2:10

In 2012, I met an incredible woman who also shared the same passion for Africa.  During her time in Zambia and Uganda, God worked in and through Daneen’s life in similar ways as he had done with me in Kenya.  We agreed that after getting married, we would fulfill my latest commitment of serving in Mbita through 2014.  During our year together here, Daneen has also grown to love Mbita like I do.  We have enjoyed serving together with CGA and Suba Lakers.  We love our home and life here, and we value our friendships, especially the young ones we have an opportunity to serve daily.  CGA is truly a special place that is brining hope to the many orphans here in Mbita and our Suba Laker girls are growing up to be incredibly talented football players and remarkable young ladies.
  
As 2014 began, we committed to praying and fasting about our future, asking God to show us the way.  In similar ways that he called me to come and serve here 11 years ago, He has shown us that it is time to leave.  With heavy, yet peaceful hearts, we have made the decision that we will not return to serve in Mbita in 2015.  I feel strongly that what God originally called me here to do, I have done to the best of my ability.  As a missionary in a foreign land, there reaches a time when you have to let go.  The longer you stay, the more difficult it is; but that time will eventually come at some point. 
Early in the morning, David left the flock 
in the care of a shepherd, 
loaded up and set out.  1 Sam 17:20

As a ministry, CGA in recent years has been handing over more of the leadership to Kenyans.  We have helped with that process, and us leaving will accelerate that process even more.  We have a very capable and experienced Kenyan Leadership Team who understand the ministry and want to see it flourish.    

What is next for Team Pete?

In the long term, we have no idea what we will do or where God will us!  In the short term, we will continue to serve here in Kenya until mid-August.  At that point we will return to America and spend the last 4 months of the year travelling around the U.S.A. to share with friends, families, supporters, groups and churches about the work God is doing through CGA and Suba Lakers.  We trust that in God’s perfect timing He will open up the doors and lead us to the right direction for 2015 and beyond.


We so grateful for the many people back home who have prayed for us and supported us financially during our time serving in Kenya.  You are truly a huge part of this journey God has taken us on.  We could not have done it without you.  We hope that God has blessed you as abundantly as he has for us over these years.  

We look forward to seeing you sometime this Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment